For those who are out of the loop:
- wowhead has issues with advertisements, and they continue to struggle with problems.
- The long history of comments on wowhead are super useful and provide something that can't be found elsewhere.
- The site is not usable for a lot of people without an adblocker or premium subscription.
- This is pissing people off.
As far as we know:
- wowhead is trying to fix things.
- Their staff are not a bunch of evil fucking cunts out to ruin your lives (paraphrasing from actual removed comments here), they're just people trying to do their jobs.
- This change is not easy to make, and it's not happening fast.
- Everyone acknowledges that it would be better if the changes were to happen faster for these problems to go away.
As of right now, you as a wowhead user have a few options:
- Stop using wowhead. Find another site, build another site, whatever. Just stop using it.
- Continue using wowhead, and start reporting problems to THEIR STAFF, not /r/wow. If the site is showing abnormal behaviour, report it.
- If the site is breaking your browser, download an ad blocker. I use ublock origin and ublock origin extra on chrome, which you can learn about here.
What's not productive:
- Attacking the wowhead staff.
- Attacking the people who are complaining about wowhead.
- Accusing anyone with an opinion that doesn't match yours of being shills, fanboys, assholes, or any other creative insult you can think up.
- Posting yet another "wowhead sucks" post on /r/wow.
If there's a new issue, feel free to make a post about it, but rehashing the same issue is not helping anyone. If you want to yell at me for this, this thread is the place to do it.